Town of Binghamton
279 Park Avenue
Binghamton, NY 13903
Phone: (607) 772-0357, ext. 16
Fax: (607) 772-6911
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH NICK PAPPAS ABOUT A STORMWATER ISSUE, PLEASE SEND AN E-MAIL
TO NICK AT CodeEnforcement@TownofBinghamton.com
The Town of Binghamton is one of fifteen municipalities in Broome and Tioga Counties that have been designated as MS4's under NYS DEC's Phase II Stormwater regulations. As such, we must comply with the following six minimum measures that make up Stormwater Management Plans, to be covered under the SPDES Permit GP-0-10-002:
MM1: Public Education and Outreach
MM2: Public Participation and Involvement
MM3: Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (IDDE)
MM4: Construction Site Runoff Control
MM5: Post Construction Runoff Control
MM6: Municipal Good Housekeeping
Each municipality must prepare and implement a stormwater management program to comply with state and federal stormwater regulations. We recognize that watersheds and separate sewer systems cross municipal boundaries and that collaborative efforts addressing local stormwater issues saves time, money and energy. As a result, the MS4s entered into an agreement to form the Broome-Tioga Stormwater Coalition and work together to address local stormwater issues and meet the state and federal stormwater requirements. The Town of Binghamton has been involved in the following public outreach programs, related to stormwater management:
- The Town provides pickups for metal items (white goods) at minimal cost to residents.
- The Town, in conjunction with the Sheriff's Dept., has inmates pickup any garbage that has been dumped illegally on Town roads. The trash is then taken to the Broome County landfill for disposal.
- The Town assists the Youth Commmission with recyling at Jackson Park.
- The Town seeks volunteers once a year to help clean up the rivers. Residents have been asked to donate nylon bags for river cleanups.
- The Town posts the Broome County's website for guidance in disposal of hazardous waste.
- Informational handouts are available in the lobby at the Town of Binghamton offices, located at 279 Park Avenue.